Montreux and its surroundings
Montreux is situated on the banks of Lake Geneva in the French-speaking area of Switzerland.
Blessed with picturesque bays and magnificent flower-lined lakeside walks, it is surrounded by splendid terraced vineyards and the Alps, both of which endow the town with its unique charm.
Internationally-recognised as a centre of tourism, congress and recuperation, Montreux benefits from great cultural diversity, for example the Jazz Festival, Septembre musical and events at the Casino. In December, the town lights up with the Christmas Market, charming adults and children alike with its many attactions.
Among its local attractions it counts Chillon Castle, one of the most beautiful castles in Switzerland, the Gothic church and several buildings dating from the 15th and 16th century.
The Empress Elisabeth "Sissi" of Austria, Charly Chaplin, Hemingway und Hugo, Stravinsky und Tschaikovsky, Nabokov, Fredy Mercury - just to mention some of them - left their footprints here.
Montreux and its surroundings offer a wide range of sports facilities and excursion destinations.
Sports facilities :
- Swimming pools: indoor and outdoor
- Aquapark, Fun Planet, Adventure Park,
- Golf, Minigolf, Tennis courts
- Riding stables
- Bikes- rental
- Boat rental, Water-ski, Sailing boats
- Fitness Centres
- Schloss Chillon (Chillon castle)
- Vevey mit Alimentarium and othMuseen
- Lausanne - old town and Olympisches Museum
- Gruyères + Broc with castle, cheese- and chocolate factories
- Bex - Salinen (salt mine)
- Tour around the lake or a boat trip on the lake incl. the visit of towns in neighbouring France : Evian, Thonon-les-Bains and Yvoire.
- Genf and Bern - distance each about 85 km
- Excursions to charmingly-typical villages, wineyards : Aigle, Yvorne, St. Saphorin
- or to the mountains: Rochers-de-Naye (2.000 m), to Leysin or Villars, Les Diablerets
- Link : http://www.montreuxriviera.com